What Are Man Boobs & How Do I Get Rid of Them?
Media from the offices of Broadway
What Are Man Boobs?
Do you feel self-conscious about taking your shirt off at the pool or beach? Maybe even sex makes you feel a bit uncomfortable because of your man boobs? You are not alone. So What are “Man Boobs”According to statistics collected by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), between 50% and 60% of adult males suffer from gynecomastia (the medical term for man boobs).
So, what are they…and more importantly, how can you get rid of them?
Want to learn more?
Want to schedule a consultation?
What is gynecomastia & what causes it?
Gynecomastia is the enlargement of the male breast glandular tissue that can be caused by multiple factors.
- Natural hormone changes during puberty – many people think estrogen is exclusively a female hormone, but men also produce it (though typically in small quantities). When male estrogen levels are too high and out of balance with testosterone, man boobs can form. This can happen during puberty, as well as other times in a man’s life.
- Medications – a number of medications can cause gynecomastia, including: anabolic steroids and androgens, hair loss drugs, anti-anxiety medications, antidepressants, antibiotics and more.
- Street drugs & alcohol – some street drugs can cause man boobs to form, including marijuana, heroin and methadone.
- Health conditions – there are several health conditions that can contribute to gynecomastia
- Obesity – the increased fat disrupts hormones in your fat tissue (leptin) can lead to decreased testosterone production and allows estrogen to take over and cause man boobs.
- Aging – hormone changes that occur with normal aging can cause gynecomastia, especially in overweight men.
- Tumors – some tumors can produce hormones that affect the male-female hormone balance.
How to diagnose gynecomastia
If you are experiencing unexplained man boobs, you should see your doctor to explore any underlying causes that may need to be treated. Your doctor will run various tests and take a medical history to obtain conclusive evidence that it is gynecomastia versus regular fatty tissue accumulation.
How to get rid of man boobs
Now you know what gynecomastia is and how it could have been caused, and you have spoken to your doctor about it. So, how do you get rid of those man boobs?
Once your doctor recognizes the cause of gynecomastia, you can begin to treat it. Your doctor can swap out some of your medications and can treat any underlying health issues. If the condition doesn’t improve, your doctor may prescribe medication to reduce the production of estrogen. If that also doesn’t work, surgery may be necessary to reshape the breasts.
Surgery might be a good choice if you are physically healthy and not overweight so that you are certain that your breasts are not continuing to increase in size. If you have realistic expectations about the outcome of your surgery, then it might be time to take the next step. It is important to book a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.
According to Dr. Broadway, “Some of our most satisfied patients are men following gynecomastia surgery. This commonly-performed procedure often only requires small incisions that are easily hidden. The recovery from surgery is tolerated very well and patients resume normal activity very quickly. This procedure can be a real-life changer. ”
If you are interested in learning more about gynecomastia and to see if you are a candidate for the procedure, contact us to schedule a consultation with one of the top board-certified plastic surgeons in the Denver area. Call 303.680.8989 or email email@example.com today.